Live Dr. Horrible Promises to be Exciting Premiere Performace
As an avid T.V. watcher, I have to say I was pretty bummed out by last year's Writers' Guild of America strike, and I wasn't the only one. However, not everyone in the entertainment biz sat back and followed the moratorium on new scripts. Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly), his brothers Zack (a writer), and Jed (a composer), as well as Jed's fiancée, actress Maurissa Tancharoen, wrote and created a 43-minute musical, primarily for internet distribution. The three-act musical was released in parts, each released two days apart from one another, and gained a huge following with the online crowd.
Several members of said crowd reside here at Trinity, so it's no surprise that we'll be seeing it this weekend at Austin Arts Center, where it will be performed Thursday, Feb. 19 through Saturday, Feb. 21. The production, directed by Bryce Snarski-Pierce '09, with accompaniment by Professor of Music Gerald Moshell, features a small cast of talented actors: Sophomores Brad DeBiase and Ben Cooper as arch-rivals Dr. Horrible/Billy and Captain Hammer, Dani Warly '12 as Penny, their mutual love interest, and David Kimball-Stanley '09 as Moist, Dr. Horrible's henchman (whose name pretty much says everything).
The plot follows the exploits of Dr. Horrible, the alter ego of a young man named Billy, who wants to take over the world (and blogs about his doings throughout the show - hence its title). He falls in love with Penny, a charitable young woman who works with the homeless and "doesn't eat meat" (as the song "So They Say" informs us). Unfortunately, the strong-but-stupid superhero Captain Hammer falls in love with her, too, much to Dr. Horrible's chagrin. The two nemeses spend the rest of the show fighting over Penny, with some hilarious consequences (and some sad ones).
I think the strongest aspect of this show is going to be its cast. The story alone is hilarious, but it wouldn't be anything without the talented cast behind it. Even the minor parts, like the Bad Horse Chorus (Corey Stein '10, Peter Kempson '10, and David Caffrey '11) and the groupies and homeless people (Erica DeLano '11, Zoe Nageotte '12, Elliot Faust '12, and Tierney Nolen '11) are acted and sung well, and the main cast manages to blend the perfect amount of humor, musical talent, and acting skill. I was particularly impressed with DeBiase and Kimball-Stanley, who make up the evil portion of the cast. DeBiase manages to be completely adorable and endearing as Billy, and yet kind of creepy (and maybe a little sad) as Dr. Horrible. Kimball-Stanley really makes up a lot of the blatant comic relief during the show, what with his sweatiness - and that's without his similarity to Prince Herbert from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (at least in regards to his vocal talents . and his relationship with Snarski-Pierce).
Even though there are still a few days of rehearsals to go for the Dr. Horrible cast and crew, this definitely looks like a promising musical - especially considering it's the first live performance ever produced. Seats are limited, as there are only about 50 in Garmany Hall. Get there early - it would be horrible to miss out!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Trinity Tripod News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE TRINITY TRIPOD NEWS
- September 11: A Generation Defined
- Closure to My Trinity Thesis: A Farewell
- iMatter March Comes to Hartford, CT
- President Obama Announces Assassination of Osama bin Laden
- Students Raise Money for Japan Relief
- Trin. College Holds Fifth Annual Relay For Life; $40,000 Raised
- Francisco Goldman Presents New Novel to Trin Community
RECENT THE TRINITY TRIPOD CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”