Doubles Team Leads Bantam Tennis
The men's tennis team lost its final match of the regular season on Thursday, April 29. The visiting Williams College Ephs defeated the Bantams, 6-3. Trinity finishes the regular season with an overall record of 12-5 and 4-4 in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC), and will have to wait for a possible invitation to the upcoming NESCAC Tournament.
Against Williams, the doubles team of tri-captain Spencer Feldman '10 and Anson McCook '12 won their match, 8-3. Williams won its top three singles contests, but Dan Couzens '13 pulled out a 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 win at the No. 4 spot. Tri-captain Adam Lanza '10 provided the third Bantam win of the afternoon in a close match at the No. 6 singles spot, defeating his Williams opponent in three sets, 5-7, 7-5, 16-14.
The team's four conference wins were at Wesleyan University and Connecticut College, and at home against Tufts University and Bates College. The Bantams shut out both Wesleyan and Connecticut College, collecting 9-0 victories. Trinity defeated Tufts, 8-1, but played one of its closest matches of the season against Bates, when it recorded a 5-4 victory.
Against the Bates Bobcats on Saturday, April 24, the Bantams won the top three singles matches. Feldman and McCook took care of their opponents in straight sets, in total losing only one and three games, respectively. In the No. 3 singles match, Rich Bonfiglio '11 defeated his Bobcat opponent in three sets. In the doubles matches, the team of Feldman and McCook, the No. 4-ranked pair in the Northeast, defeated its Bates opponents, ranked No. 5 in doubles, in a close match, 9-7.
The women's team completes its regular season play with a record of 7-5 and 3-3 in the NESCAC. The women recorded their first NESCAC win at Connecticut College on Wednesday, April 14. The dominant Bantams won all but one match, dropping the No. 2 doubles contest. Playing at the No. 1 spot, Hilary Hoyt '13 won her match 7-6, 6-2. In the second singles spot, Jillian Steckloff '11 lost the first set before taking the next two, winning her match 2-6, 6-3, 6-1.
The Bantams recorded their second conference victory of the spring in a hard-fought win over the Bates Bobcats on Friday, April 23. With the match tied at 4-4, Frances Cameron '13 won the deciding match 6-3, 6-2, at No. 6 singles. Hoyt and Steckloff also captured wins in their singles matches. The Bantams also prevailed in two doubles matches, as the team of Kelsey Semrod '12 and Cameron won, 9-7, at No. 2 doubles, and Steckloff and Arielle Leben '11 won at No. 3 doubles, 8-5.
On Thursday, April 29, the Bantams defeated the Wesleyan Cardinals, 5-4. The teams split the singles matches, but the Bantams prevailed in two of the three doubles contests to take the win. Hoyt continued her strong play at the No. 1 singles spot, winning her match 1-6, 6-3, 6-2. Semrod and Leben also won their singles matches.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Trinity Tripod News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE TRINITY TRIPOD NEWS
- September 11: A Generation Defined
- Closure to My Trinity Thesis: A Farewell
- iMatter March Comes to Hartford, CT
- President Obama Announces Assassination of Osama bin Laden
- Students Raise Money for Japan Relief
- Trin. College Holds Fifth Annual Relay For Life; $40,000 Raised
- Francisco Goldman Presents New Novel to Trin Community
RECENT THE TRINITY TRIPOD CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR